From the very beginning; the very history of socks till now, socks are generally worn with shoes and boots but with the different changes in the fashion world and with the rise of influencers, reality TV show celebrities and fashion blogs, a lot of these rules are being bent. Wearing socks with sandals is one of the most controversial fashion topic and the combination is considered a fail in some places and it’s quite understandable because it could be an epic fail with it if not done properly.
Table of Content
- Does Wearing Socks with Sandals Make Sense
- Do’s of Wearing Socks with Sandals.
- Don’ts of Wearing Socks with Sandals.
- How to Wear Socks with Sandals.
Did you know that it isn’t as new as we think it is? It was a thing during the times when the Roman empires were the highest form of civilization. Do you know how long that is? More than 2000 B.C.
This recent fashion statement was reintroduced by big pop stars and celebrities; the likes of Kanye West and Justin Bieber; and now this trend can be seen at almost every gathering. Our topic of contemplation in this post is to guide you make a good call of when and how to do this in the most stylish way ever and the red flags to avoid so as not to end up being perceived as someone who ‘tries too hard’.
Does Wearing Socks with Sandals Make Sense?
Absolutely. The reasons rules were made is so they can be broken, right? Fashion rules aren’t writ in stones of clay – they can be remodified and adjusted as the world evolves. If you have ever thought of wearing socks with sandals [for whatever reason], you can and you sure should.
Do’s & Don’ts of Wearing Socks With Sandals
Do’s of Wearing Socks with Sandals
All you need to do is put the following things into consideration:
- Get socks that are stylish. You see all this alte- vibe all over music videos and the street of Lagos? You’d want to get their kind of socks to be able to pull off this sandal/sock combination. You’d want to get some socks with weird colors, fine texture and interesting designs. Avoid no-show or ankle socks here. The pair you choose have to be visible for this context to work.
- Make sure the sandals are right. The sandals that would complement this look has to be just right – go for proper strap and latch or Velcro sandals.
- It goes well with shorts too. We are in the era where many men are becoming very comfortable with showing off some leg skin or hair and they are doing great with shorts. You can pair your favorite plain or patterned shorts with a pair of colorful crew length socks; especially those that cup up by your calf. It’s a laid back but cool vibe.
DON’TS Of Wearing Socks with Sandals:
This isn’t an office look unless you work in a very unconventional workplace, maybe one of those creative and tech companies where corporate and formal dressing isn’t a regular etiquette. It’s a really casual, laid-back look that would only be accepted in the right setting. It’s more of a ‘taking a stroll’ or ‘stepping out for some air look.’
- Don’t do this sock and sandal things when you’re wearing traditional attire. When you’re in your agbada, ankara, guinea or some linen material with embroidery, you should wear proper shoes and if you’re wearing some lock sandals to make it a casual look, don’t do it with socks. Don’t pair your sandals with socks on anything trad even if it’s just a one-piece trad like a shirt, jacket, kimono, pants or shorts. Don’t.
- Don’t pair patterned socks with patterned outfit. Don’t overpair when it comes to socks and sandals. If you’re wearing a patterned outfit – shirt, pants or jumpsuit with sandals and you want to do socks; go with plain socks. It would make your entire outfit easy on the eyes.
- Avoid colour blocking. Don’t wear similar colours of socks of your clothe with your sandals. Even if you’re trying to achieve a monochrome look or give off a trendy vibe, wear complementary colours. For example, if you’re wearing a red ensemble, try a burgundy or maroon sock with your sandals. Don’t red it all up from the head to the toe.
How to Wear Socks With Sandals
Since socks on sandals are a tricky and risky fashion step to take, remember the following:
- Tread with caution. This is literally tread with caution. Don’t over do it. Don’t become the socks-on-sandals guy.
- Pay attention to the weather. On a hot day, the last thing you feet need is to be hotter than it already is. Let your feet enjoy some air. It would even be awkward for you to pull off socks on sandals on a hot day. Get your weather forecast right.
- Check your favourite models or fashion inspirations to see how they are pulling off the look and changing it per time. Fashion can be weird sometimes, today, a look is fine and acceptable, tomorrow is not. Keep updated with the socks and sandal vibe.